You get so use to blogging that you write without thinking that you are writing for a blog audience and not just for yourself. That is why you should have a list of items you need to include in every post.
You can write your items down and keep them close to you while you write and/or keep a mental note of them. If you are functioning on autopilot, you probably should have them written down nearby.
Here are the 10 items that I try to include in every post.
- Titles-Provides autonomy to that one individual post
- Labels- to keep things organized into categories and my tabs. You can use more than one.
- Links- For search crawler purposes, you should have at least one link in your post. Here are mine- e-mail me Page rank and links explained NY Times article on using links to rival websites.
- Topic- one per post. Mine is what every blog post needs.
- Advertising- just one per post or your blog will look cheapen
- An introduction- First paragraph, quick synopsis of what the post is about
- A Conclusion- Last paragraph- quick summary of your post
- A body- the meat of your essay.
- Optional- Photos/images
- Social Networking- such as Digg or add to my Technatori.
When I am finished with my post, I always ask myself, is there something that I forgot to add. I run through my list and make sure I've included everything I want to be included in every one of my posts.