Here are some great tips to help you get your networking going.
- If you are new to Facebook or are just joining, it is important to build your personal branding. Do this by working on your profile pages.
- Tell everyone something about yourself. It is important to open up and let people know something about you if you want them to connect with you.
- Start by becoming friends with people that you know. Facebook makes this easy to do by using your e-mail address book.
- Don't go overboard at first requesting any and everyone. When you are branding yourself and learning how to maneuver around Facebook you should be going for quality and not quantity.
- Use a picture of yourself on your profile. It makes a huge difference to people when you are trying to be their friend. Think of your picture as a first impression.
- When you feel comfortable, join groups that have something in common with your goals.
- Add a couple of fan pages that are related to your goals. Fan pages actually look good on your profile because they appear with an icon.
- When you are ready to start adding friends, start by going to your groups and adding group members who have friends in common with you.
- Be observant of what other profiles have on them. You can usually find an interesting group to join or a great fan page.
- Be personable. Send plants, write on walls etc but, be sure to not be over doing it. A quick note on a wall to thank someone for a friendship acceptance or a message back usually suffices.
Facebook is a great place to network. It just takes time and a well thought out strategy to get it going for you.