They add functionality to the blog. They are what make a common blog unique.
The folks at WordPress say that their producti is designed" to be lean, to maximize flexibility and minimize code bloat." Plugins offer custom functions and features so that each user can tailor their site to their specific needs.
Currently, WordPress has 2,527 plugins
WordPress Plugins are available from several sources. The "official" sources for WordPress Plugins are:
- Official WordPress Plugins Repository
- WordPress Plugin Database at wp-plugins.net
The following plugins are included with the WordPress core distribution:
- Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not. You can review the spam it catches under "Manage" and it automatically deletes old spam after 15 days.
- Hello Dolly
- This is the first official WordPress Plugin. When enabled you will randomly see a lyric from "Hello, Dolly" in the upper right of your Administration Panels on every page but the Plugins panel.
- Akismet Downloaded 352,934 times
- All in One SEO Pack Downloaded 462,277 times
- NextGEN Gallery Downloaded 228,357 times
- Google XML Sitemaps Downloaded 395,552 times
- cformsII - contact form Downloaded 150,107 times
- WordPress.com Stats Downloaded 249,55