To make money by blogging, you have to work for it. You probably won't make enough to pay your mortgage either. As a matter of fact, it may take a year or more of quality blog posts to break even if you have purchased a domain name and some small advertising. If you were to open a new business, it would probably take you two years to show a profit as well.
Here are some tips to get you going in the right direction.
Sign up for the common advertising outlets.
- Adsense- despite their departure from paying for cost per click, Adsense still has a decent advertising community.
- Chitka- Chitika says that they have over 70+ power-packed revenue earning ad units, the largest collection of revenue-generating solutions catering to publishers of all sizes. More than 20,000 bloggers and publishers are already using Chitika's ads to earn revenue.
- Amazon- Amazon has come a long way in their advertising programs. They now offer a variety of options including a MP3 Widget.
- Widget Bucks WidgetBucks features pay-per-click shopping widgets that help our customers make money fast. They instantly display the most popular products based on buying trends of 100 million shoppers. Thus they are highly engaging, which means instant dollars for our customers. Our widgets see $3-$6 CPM — pretty good compared to traditional ad networks that deliver less than $2 CPM
- Sell your own space- make it easy for prospective advertisers to contact you for more information. Simple place a box in the location where they may place an ad and place a link to you that reads "advertise here- get information".
Your Goal should be to get the return visitor. That is, the visitor who liked your site so much the first time that they returned to it. Here are some hints:
- Make your site credible. You as an author need to appear trustworthy and knowledgeable.
- Your site must have something worth returning for. You need to post new information and often.
- Your site needs to have something that other sites do not have. Otherwise, your visitors will go to a site that has something that yours does not have.
- Remind your visitors that you are there. Use newsletters and feeds.
- Consider advertising. You can advertise through search engines such as Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft. You can advertise on another blog.
Making money by blogging should never be your primary goal. Your primary goal of blogging should be to share your knowledge. If you are good at sharing your knowledge and take a few steps such as the ones that I listed above, the money should follow.