A favicon image is saved in an ico file format. Just like a photograph would be saved in a JPG file format. The ico file is actually a repository of bitmap like images. They are usually a 16x16 pixel image or a 32x32 image.
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://img.timeinc.net/time/favicon.ico" />
- Irfanview http://irfanview.com/
- "favicon.cc" - draw favicons pixel by pixel
- FavIcon from Pics - tool for creating still / animated favicons from regular images http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/
- Similar "How To Create A Favicon In Photoshop" article at PhotoshopSupport.com
- AntiFavicon - An online tool which creates text favicons in different colors. [Italian and English].
- Collabyrinth - A free, online icon editor by Andy Deck for producing favicons in the windows ICO format. Requires Java.
- DeGraeve: Favicon Editor - An online favicon editor by Steven DeGraeve, which also offers the option to generate a favicon from an uploaded PNG image.
- FavIcon from Pics - Generates favicon images for browser address bars, favorites and tabs, from pictures, logos and other graphics.
- Favicon Generator - A free online tool which creates a favicon.ico from an uploaded image.
- Favicon.com - Online Java icon editor to create favicon.ico files that customize the marketing logo in favorites/bookmarks.
- Graphics Guru: Favicon Generator - Free online tool that can create favicon (.ico) images.