- Your topic. The result of this research should be the discovery of your niche or what it is that you can provide unique information on. How to research your topic? Do a search engine search of your topic and visit the blogs that turn up in your results. You'll know they are blogs if their web address contains blogspot, wordpress, etc. When you find a blog to look at check out their blogroll to find similar blogs.
- Your blog service. For a beginner, I would recommend Blogger. Blogger offers free software and hosting plus, it's extremely easy to use. When you get more confident, you can check out the other blogsite host and software options such as WordPress.
- Research the possible sources of post topic information. Make sure that you'll have plenty of places to search for new post ideas especially, when you hit a dry spell.
- Research the amount of time that you will be able to devote to your blog. Will you be able to post daily? What time of day will you be able to schedule your posting for? You should think about the reality of you blogging past the first month. Many blogger start strong and then fizzle. You should map out a realistic schedule that you can attempt to follow.
- Lastly, research a good name for your blog. You may want to keep in mind the possibility of purchasing a domain name in the future. This means that you want to make sure that the domain name and the blog names are both available. You can do an easy domain name look up at GoDaddy.
Getting started in blogging is not difficult. Starting successfully and sticking with it take some work. I am going to devote more posts to the beginner. Stay tuned.